In this episode, Cory interviews web comics artist Jin Wicked. They discuss her two comics strips, the business of webcomic strips, hr art process and much more! You can see her art at http://comics.jinwicked.com/
Artist Patrick McEvoy joins Josh Finney, Kat Rocha and Cory as we continue the discussion on bringing World War Kaiju to market.
World War Kaiju gallery on Deviantart: http://patrickmcevoy.deviantart.com/gallery/30639956/World-War-Kaiju
Strange Cases (the new series Josh and I are working on) teaser on Deviantart: http://patrickmcevoy.deviantart.com/art/Chase-scene-Pickman-s-Model-485948830
And 01 Publishing is at: http://01publishing.com/
Cory and Joe both were too busy to go through Previews for their “What would you order!” episode, so instead, they go back to 1996 to go through an August invoice and discuss the comics that came out that month as well as stories about the comics discussed. Some of the things that come up are:
- Mail order companies that fed off of the investment craze
- Cory’s feelings toward Image at the time
- A Spider-Man intercompany crossover Cory doesn’t remember at ALL
- DC’s Helix line
- A discussion of Milestone comics
- A discussion of DC’s Hitman series
- Joe and Cory spitball the greatest comic book team up in history!
- What was up with Marvel?
And much, MUCH more in this over-sized episode!
As we start, Joe has given up because EVERYTHING ENDS!! They go into talking about the upcoming Secret Wars, past crossovers and what would happen if Marvel were to do a reboot. The discussion for the night is: Does Marvel need to fix their continuity like DC has done a few times in the past? They also discuss:
- ANOTHER discussion of crossovers, mostly the ones that are not being teased as part of the Secret Wars
- Catching up on Spider-Verse
- The problem with trying to fill-in the time gap caused by Marvel’s “15 year history” solution
- The creative differences between Marvel and DC currently
- Should DC Reboot again?
- What’s great about long-time planning in super-hero stories
- Freaking and geeking
All of this, the usual shenanigans and the proverbial much, much more!
A return of Josh Finney and Kat Rocha of 01 Publishing. We discuss their book World War Kaiju and the birth of 01 Publishing. The discussion gets into how Kickstarter works and doesn’t work, the journey to bring the book to market, as well as their other projects along! Listen to this episode and visit them at 01 Publishing!
Joe thinks he is dying as we begin, but thankfully he gets better and we don’t have to ship him off to Fort Lee New Jersey. Since they don’t have any topics, Cory tells a story about his work the day this was recorder and this leads to discussing:
- Times when Joe got annoyed or angry with customers
- Cory talks about how when he worked at Shinder’s, they had an odd definition about Hard Core Pornography
- Joe discusses the “Breaking Bad” action figure controversy
- Joe discusses other action figures that became controversial
- Freaking and Geeking
All of this, the usual shenanigans and the proverbial Much Much more!!
We start by Joe telling the story explaining why he wore a Mr. Rodger’s sweater to watch ECW shows and having a small child talk to a pastor about bald cats. That’s right, it’s time for Joe and Cory to talk about comics! With Marvel announcing Secret Wars for 2015, they talk about Big Event Crossovers through the years as well as:
- The first crossovers in the 40’s
- Pre-Secret Wars crossovers
- Secret Wars
- The genesis of Crisis on Infinite Earths
- Why Crossovers/Events have tie-in with regular issues
- Crossovers they didn’t care for
- Crossovers they loved
- A Special Tales From The Shop
- Freaking and Geeking!
All of this, the usual shenanigans and the usual Much Much more!
Joe begins the episode talking about his stuff on eBay as he is trying to get rid of his vast accumulation of crap! Now, it doesn’t just mean he’s using this here podcast to shill endlessly, he and Cory!! talk about the comics and such with what they know about the comics, shop stories of when Joe had it or whatever else dropping into the brains. They discuss:
- Linsner’s Dawn series
- Night of the Living Dead in comics…and you know how much of a George Romero fanboy Cory!! is
- Chris Claremont and John Byrne’s work together
- Chromium comics!
- The Comic Warrior (a comic about a Twin Cities Comic Book dealer)
- Cory has a “Hangin’ at the Home” story
- Freaking and Geeking
- A history lesson on the movie Heaven’s Gate
Plus, the usual silliness, shenanigans and much, much more!
It’s time for the FallCon (Minnesota’s Big Comic Convention) rundown, but first, Cory wants to talk about the biggest geeking ever! Can you guess what happened? You can if you’ve listened to the show before, Joe sidetracks him into talking about all of these other things like:
- Making sure you have a plan for people to find your geeky stuff if something happens to you
- This actually leads to a “Hangin’ At The Home”
- A HUGE book sale the same day of the convention
- An Honest to Goodness Con report: What was selling at the convention, what were artists able to sell and other things that were selling
- How are the sales on the DC 3D covers this time?
- What did Joe buy?
- What did Cory!! buy?
- Freaking and geeking!
- A special run in at the end of the show!
All of this, the usual shenanigans and much much more!
We start this week’s episode with Joe reading a bunch of strange stuff off of the internet, maybe he’s trying to impress Dangerous Dan Mohr, our special guest to talk about This Year’s FallCon! It takes a bit to get on track, but when they do, they have a wide ranging discussion about the changing face of conventions starting with a creator’s wife talking about “Conventions are now a place where cosplayer’s take selfies”. They also discuss:
- What should retailers do at a conventions
- How do creators prepare for conventions
- Cory!! gets to mention “Wendy Whitebread, Undercover Slut”, the most offensive comic ever printed.
- How a comic creator can get people interested in their work at a convention.
- Why shops in Minneapolis don’t have a lot of high dollar books in stock
- The explosion of cosplay
- Why Cory!! and Joe are going to start going to Anime conventions (spoiler, it’s not for the women dressed like cats)
- Cory drops a Talking Heads reference!
- Dan tells artist to CONFORM!
- Freaking and Geeking
All of this, the usual shenanigans, a brief cameo by the most hated character is all of podcasting and the usual much, much more!