We have learned of the passing of comics legend Steve Ditko, and Cory!! and Joe discuss the work of this Hall of Fame artist. They discuss his career, his style, his philosophy, his legacy, the pantheon of characters he created and their favorite stories by “Sturdy” Steve Ditko!
Harlan Ellison passed away, and Joe and Cory!! are both fans. We discuss his career in comics, fiction and other places. Then, they discuss is a creator/artist is a jerk, can you still enjoy their work? They discuss all of this and:
- What do you leave out for Captain America on the 4th of July?
- Harlan Ellison’s Marvel comics
- Harlan Ellison’s Batman story…
- How Harlan promoted his comic book on the Tom Snyder talk show
- What happened when Cory!! went to Wal Mart?
All of this, the usual shenanigans and the proverbial much, much more! AND, we have a post credits scene!!!!
Cory!! slacked on coming up with a theme for the episode, so for the first time in ages, it’s just comic talk. Cory!! and Joe talk about:
- Wal-Mart 100 page comics
- Why did people at Shinder’s call old comics “cheese”?
- Previous “big thick comics” that Joe and Cory!! liked as kids.
- Treasuries that were all original material leading to mini-series.
- Did the 100 page Monster books from Marvel do well?
- The Greatest Comic Ever Printed
- Cory talks sales of trades and comics.
All of this, freaking and geeking, the usual shenanigans and the proverbial much, much more!!
It’s a whole bunch of Tales From The Shop where Cory!! decides that because we lost most of Joe’s input last week, so Cory!! gets him to talk about incidents in the shop such as:
- Joe’s emergency sale to buy a computer in the early 90’s.
- How Joe would track graphic novel sales
- How do comic shops deal with cash flow issues?
They ALSO talk about:
- Cory!! wants to join The Space Force
- Joe is pissed that he was DELETED!
- What did Cory!! write in the memo lines of his checks to Joe’s shop?
- How did Atlas/Seaboard comics in the 70’s come from a snit?
- Joe and Cory!! discuss Spider-Man 800 and a bunch of other recent comics
All of this, the usual shenanigans and much, much more.
Bill Schelly was one of the founders of 60’s fandom with his various fanzines, the most known of which was Sense of Wonder, which is the title of his new book: Sense of Wonder: My Life in Comic Fandom – The Whole Story
Cory!! chats will Bill about his new version of the book, which was originally printed by TwoMorrows that ended with his leaving comics fandom. This version continues his story, has been rewritten and tells the whole story of his life from his own point of view.
They discuss the origins of the 60’s fanzines, why they didn’t have a lot of fan fiction back then, the different fanzines he created, printing processes for fans in the 60’s, his return to comics in the 80’s, and how he has become an author of comics history and biography.
You can order Sense of Wonder: My Life In Comics Fandom: The Whole Story at his website: Bill Schelly.net
It’s that time of month where Cory!! and Joe talk about what is in Previews and let you know what they are interested in for comics coming out in September! How, the recording software didn’t much care for Joe, so after about 15 minutes, it stopped recording.
SWEET CHRISTMAS! WHAT WILL CORY!! DO TO SAVE THE EPISODE!
They also talk about:
- American Foods: Blaze Doritos
- Rocket Raccoon is now is St Paul
- Joe spills secrets about Cory!!
- Joe gets in a freaking despite not being in that part of the episode
All this, different shenanigans and much, much more!!
IT’S AN ALL REVIEW SHOW!
OK, it was supposed to be, but have you even known Cory!! and Joe to stay on topic. They DO get to the reviews, and they review these comics!
- Shanna The She-Devil
- Superman Unchained
- Tag and Bink are Dead
- The Field
- Deadpool 2
- Vader Down
- Thanos: Infinity Siblings
- Marvel’s Star Wars
They also discuss:
Highlights of April’s sales figures.
How Omnibussesses destroy shelving.
Joe’s D&D game
All of this, the usual shenanigans and much, much more!!
There’s more than just super-hero comics. There are kid’s comics, humor comics and so much more, and Joe and Cory!! mostly talk about the super-hero stuff, since that’s the majority of the stuff being published now, but every so often, they will point you toward the other genres. This week, Cory and Joe talk about their Favorite Five military and war themed comics!
- Joe is shocked that Cory!! talks about Transformers
- How is Roseanne a warning for comics creators who don’t know how to behave in public?
- Joe and Cory!! talk college radio
- How many pilots did Star Trek have (Cory!! found out The Love Boat had two pilots)
- How did Star Trek break Cory!!’s jaw in 6th grade?
All of this, the usual shenanigans and much, much more!
For you it’s only been a week, but for Joe and Cory!! it’s been TWO weeks. Joe worked the charity table at the 2 day Minneapolis ComiCon and then went on a week’s vacation, and does he have stories about it! So many stories. Endless stories. OK, he pretty much dominates the episode with his stories, so if you have been waiting for a new episode of Solo Joe, you might was well could this episode, since he is shot out of a cannon and never loses steam!
He and Cory!! also talk about:
- More stories of the origin of Hot Comics St Paul
- Joe got to hold some Ditko art
- Cory!! was able to get Joe to buy art at a convention without even going to one
- Joe discusses the books he picked up at the Minneapolis convention.
- Cory!! takes a nap while Joe fills us in on his vacation
- Cory!! discusses why he sold off most of his original art
All of this, the usual shenanigans and much, much more Joe!
Joe and Cory!! started discussing omnibussses and it became a whole episode of the ones they won’t to see, but probably won’t happen for legal reasons, sales reasons or simple common sense. I mean, come on, Cory!!, NO ONE wants a complete collection of Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch.
There’s the usual shenanigans, off topic discussions and much, much more!
Come on, we’re 355 episodes into this thing, it’s pretty clear what they are doing by now, right?